November 10, 2011 Leave a comment
This November, vision is quality of the month and what better way to discuss about it than to interview Maurice Smith. Members of our community know Maurice as the Co-Founder of The Bookkeeping Center (TBKC) and as the Instructor of DISCOVERBOOKKEEPING (DB). With 40 years of bookkeeping experience, Maurice has shared his invaluable expertise and wisdom with over 100 participants since DB began in the Fall of 2007. We were fortunate to catch up with Maurice in his busy schedule and conducted an interview. Read more to learn new facts about Maurice.
1. What inspired you to join the accounting industry?
I was a math major and naturally worked in fields that dealt with numbers (banking and accounting, insurance claims).
2. Why did you become a bookkeeping instructor?
I love to teach and give information to people until they understand the concepts. I see the quizzical expression on their faces and then after a few sessions, they get it. I love the satisfied feeling I get when people finally get it.
3. What’s the difference between teaching at TBKC and BMCC?
The time-span is the only difference. And, TBKC has the “Advanced” portion which BMCC does not.
4. What do you think is the most crucial accounting concept?
The Accounting Equation.
5. If there is one thing you can change about bookkeeping, what would it be?
For business owners to have automated record-keeping.
6. What direction do you think the bookkeeping field will take in the future?
As technology advances, I think record-keeping will change as well. As I mentioned, automated record-keeping may take a foothold. Although, there will still be a need for someone to review and make corrections.
7. What sources do you recommend for new bookkeepers who need help in bookkeeping?
Have a mentor on speed dial who can answer those questions you have.
8. How much has TBKC changed since its inception?
Greatly for the better. More interest has brought in new ideas on expanding the program. And, with the inclusion of alumni, workshops and social media we reach many more interested parties.
9. How can TBKC continue to serve the NYC community?
By reaching out to other non-profits and businesses to see what their needs are and seeing if we are able to help.
Maurice’s presence continues to play an influential factor in our growing organization. DB wouldn’t be recognized as an award-winning program without Maurice’s strong passion for bookkeeping and teaching. Thank you, Maurice for sharing your in-depth knowledge about bookkeeping with us!