April 1, 2011 Leave a comment
Did You Know that…
- 44% of our applicants have a degree related to finance, but lack the key skills necessary to pursue a career in the field
- 87% of these individuals could not afford other forms of education
And did you also know that…
- In our Winter 2011 class, unemployment dropped from 79% upon enrollment to 17% upon completion. And, the remaining individuals were employed within 3 months of completion.
- Over 50% of our graduates find full-time employment in a field related to bookkeeping & accounting
- 17% of graduates pursue further, collegiate-level education in a related field
Yes, the people we serve need jobs. But, getting a job is not easy in this economy. As such, we attempt to change their lives through a holistic approach that addresses the development of their skills. At the same time we strive to create a positive, community-based culture to support and inspire these individuals.
Here’s something else you may not know:
“Middle-skills jobs account for 46% of all current jobs in New York, and a substantial share of projected future job openings. But only 39% of New York’s workforce has the educational credentials to fill those positions, posing a risk of worker shortages in crucial industries… that could put the state at a disadvantage in an increasingly competitive regional, national, and global context.” – Skills2Compete-New York, Answering the Middle-Skills Challenge, March 2011.*
We are proud to say that not only are we fulfilling the lives of DISCOVERBOOKKEEPING participants (serving 50% more people this year than last year with greater effectiveness), but we are also addressing a major employment issue that affects New York’s advantage in a competitive economic atmosphere.
*Skils2Compete-New York, Answering the Middle-Skills Challenge, March 2011, Commissioned by the National Skills Coalition in partnership with New York Association of Training & Employment Professionals & New York City Department of Small Business.